One of the most active areas in the Chamber is economic development, led by Michael Looney, our Vice President of Economic Development, and coordinated by Economic Development Specialist Jessica Hoidahl.
Here are areas where our economic development staff have been active:
- SMC Global Corporation has expanded to three facilities, totaling 140,000 sf. They have committed to a capital investment of $3.3 million, and already have an estimated $3.8 million in gross annual product yield.
- Allen’s Transportation, LLC has purchased 12 acres in the San Angelo Business and Industrial Park to build a trucking and pipeline chemicals facility. The land purchase price was $600,000.
- Recurrent Energy is constructing a 200 MW-AC solar power plant in Tom Green County. Recurrent will invest an initial $20 million for construction labor.
- Our staff was key in helping a Central Texas developer work through the land acquisition and planning process to begin construction in October on a 250-unit urban cottage community on Loop 306. This project will help alleviate the 96% occupancy rates in the San Angelo multi-family rental market.
- We’ve announced with our partners at The City of San Angelo Development Corporation the creation of a 185-acre state-of-the-art multi-modal rail port. This will be a full-service facility on the Texas Pacifico/Eastern Orient line.